Every keynote by Dries, and every time a new version of Drupal core is released, one of the biggest features asked for in Drupal 8 is better media handling. There are currently a wide selection of media management solutions for Drupal 7: media, scald, asset, mediabox and more, each with its own strengths and weaknesses.
At DrupalCon Prague, the first steps were done towards a unified media solution for Drupal 8 using media entities, while the File Entity and Media maintainers wanted to continue extending core's file entities. At NYCCamp the different teams came together to agree on a common solution forward. This session is the occasion to present our progress so far.
There is also quite a lot of organizational and political questions related to this field and we'll try to present some of those also, including:
- Why disagreeing on what entity type to use benefits the solution for end users
- The challenges that we foresee when porting and revamping these modules
- Where help is necessary still in Drupal 8 to meet those challenges
- A call to action to help contribute at the code sprint!
Things we'd like to discuss with the D8 core and contrib developers:
- How can we solve contrib library dependencies? We're using Composer for Drupal Core but we also include all of our external libraries in Core itself. Should contrib do the same?
- What, if anything should we propose to improve the media handling support for Drupal 8 core before release? What could we include in the 8.x minor releases? What needs to wait for Drupal 9?
- What needs have we not considered or need to meet?